Houston Licensed Professional Counselors Association
ART THERAPY INTERVENTIONS FOR THE NON-ART THERAPIST- Using Right Brain Tools in a Left - Brained ProfessionPresented by Valerie L. Bryan, LPC-AT/S, ATR-BC, ATCSFew therapists practice for long before realizing that there is a limit to how much words alone can ignite change in their clients’ lives. Energizing a ho-hum treatment model, (regardless of one’s theoretical orientation) with music, art, play, and/or movement therapies can be a catalyst to exponential growth and insight for our clients. Drawing on your natural creativity as a human being and a counselor, together with a general understanding of a basic art therapy theory, you can help energize both yourself and your practice.
In this presentation, counselors will:
• Informally assess their own comfort level with art materials/creativity
• Learn the levels of the Expressive Therapies Continuum
• Learn when/how to introduce various art materials based on the correlation between their qualities and client’s readiness for that
• Increase awareness of how to seamlessly/informally help client’s gain insight from their art productions.
• Become more accepting and comfortable with client’s having “fun” during sessions, & recognizing that this is both desirable and effective.
We meet at the American Red Cross 2700 Southwest Freeway, Houston, TX 77098.
Click here for specific directions. Directions to American Red Cross 1-2020.docx